Saturday, October 5, 2013

Wine + Pizza Pairings

So let's get this out of the way. I don't drink beer. I drank it a few times very early on in college, but decided I didn't like the taste and bloaty aftermath. So I made the decision to stick to just wine and liquor as my spirited beverages. Senior year of college rolled around, and my friends decided it was unacceptable to dislike beer. "You'll be so much happier if you like beer!" they enthused.

So we made plans to go have pizza and beer. They promised the carbonation of the beer, the malty foam, and the bitter taste would really sing with a good cheesy slice of pizza, and I'd be cured. At any rate, I failed to see the magic, because I still do not drink beer to this day. To me, pizza and wine is a much better combination.

The wine world is a complex one. So many grapes, so many adjectives that I don't understand. Taste is a very difficult ghost to identify. Even after taking a few wine classes, visiting vineyards in Napa, and reading several basic articles, it still doesn't come together for me. So admittedly, I have some more wine research I need to do, but I mostly leave it to the pro's to recommend something nice for me.

If you're looking to pair wine with pizza, you have to strongly consider your toppings. Tomato sauce has an acidity, while mozzarella cheese has a richness. Pepperoni has a punchy spice, clam pizza has a briny seafood quality, while mushrooms have an earthy umami flavor going on. Take all that into consideration.

One basic suggestion is to keep it light. Do as the French do, and make the food the star, not the wine. Pizza itself is a rich food with strong flavors, so don't make your wine compete with it. If you're going for a red wine, many sommeliers recommend a light-bodied Pinot Noir, or Chianti.

If you're looking for a white wine instead, I love pairing pizza with an affordable Austrian Gruner Veltliner or an Italian Friuli. I first discovered Friuli regional wine at Otto Pizzeria in Greenwich Village, and was blown away at how nicely they paired together.

Don't discount a sparkling wine or Rosé either. The carbonation in a sparkling wine mimics that in beer, as well as my other favorite pizza pairing from childhood: Diet Coke!

When in doubt, though, head to a good wine shop nearby, and ask for advice. Tell them your toppings and let them guide you. Or you could take a pizza and wine pairing class! Husband and I attended one at the Greenwich Village wine haven and restaurant, Corkbuzz, this past winter. Our class was taught by the sommelier and co-owner, Laura Maniec. We got to try 6 tastes of wine and small squares of thin pizza, all with different toppings (the butternut squash was seasonal and most memorable).




Recommended NYC Wine Spots:
Sea Grape - West Village - 512 Hudson Street - http://www.seagrapewines.com
Union Square Wines - Union Square - 140 Fourth Avenue - http://www.unionsquarewines.com
Corkbuzz - Greenwich Village - 13 East 13th Street - http://www.corkbuzz.com


No comments:

Post a Comment